Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 4

Ive been hard at work these last couple of days.  We have been averaging about 200 patients everyday.  Usually a group is bussed in in the morning and a new group comes imn the afternoon.  Most times the groups are mixed, mostly consisting of mothers and their kids.  The main concerns we treat are children with allergies, fungal rashes, and parasites.  Most everybody here has to be treated with parasite medication because the water is so dirty that they drink.  The kids get stomach aches, fever and itchy rashes all over their body from different parasites.  The good thing is that can be treated just by taking 2 pills oncer every 6 months, but unfortanely most cannot afford it.  Yesterday was probably my favorite day because we got a large group of people from the nursing home.  They were all elderly people who were so grateful that we were here.  We fit many people with canes, walkers and orthotic shoes.  One of our nurses recognized an elderly man from last year.  She went up to him and asked "do you remember me?"  And he said "yes, I've been praying for you all year".  This from a man that didn't have anything.  His toes were hanging out of his shoes, and we couldn't find any that would fit him, so one of the guys took the shoes off his own feet and gave them to him.  Today I took my flip flops with me in case I found somebody who needed my shoes and I did. I gave him my shoes and half the day I wore my flip flops. 

Today it rained a lot, which was a real blessing because it cooled down the temperature.  Tomorrow,we will only work a half day, take down the clinic, and then go to a small village where we can do some local shopping.  This week has just flown by.  I will try my best to keep checking in and letting you know how things are down here.  Until then...hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment